This little tote bag sewing pattern will quickly become a new favorite. Have a bold fabric in your stash you just don’t know what to do with? These mini tote bags are a quick and easy beginner sewing project that just begs for bright, poppy prints. Customize these bags and they make the perfect gifts for a bridal party or girl’s weekend. The Poppy Mini Tote Bag is exactly the right size for carrying a little armful of stuff; snacks for school pickup, a notebook, keys and a phone, or even use it as a cute little purse. No room to accumulate clutter so you’ll stay organized! What a fun, stress-free sewing project. You can make one in about 30 minutes – So sew easy!!!
Click here to get the FREE PDF sewing pattern – it is a free sample from our pattern called Totally Totes Templates that has 5 easy-to-sew projects just like this! Totally Totes Templates will be available October 1st!
Detailed instructions are below. You can also check out this video – it takes you through sewing this tote bag from start to finish!
- .5 yard each of 2 coordinating cotton fabrics – I recommend 100% cotton fabric such as high-quality quilting fabric or lightweight cotton twill. The printed fabrics shown in this project are from Spoonflower by designer Katie Kortman.
- .5 yard cotton duck or canvas fabric
- All-purpose cotton thread
- Adhesive tape for fabric – I used 5/8 inch Peel N Stick Fabric Fuse Tape from Therm-O-Web
- Bias tape (or make your own with the accent fabric)
- Cutting tool – a rotary cutter or scissors
- (optional) Pattern weights
- (optional) Iron
Poppy Mini Market Tote Bag Sewing Instructions
Seam allowance is 5/8 inch for this project unless otherwise specified.
- Cut template pieces – You will have one base piece, two folded top pieces, two bias tape pieces, two long solid fabric pieces for the inner handles, and two long patterned fabric pieces. Pattern Piece Measurements: (2) Tote Top: 12 1/4 in. x 20 in. folded(1) Tote Base: 13 1/4 in. x 20 in. with 2 in. x 2 1/2 in. rectangle cut out of center edges.(2) Accent Bias Tape: 2 1/4 in. x 10.5 in.(2) Outer Handle: 2.5 in. x 20 in.(2) Inner Handle: 2 in. x 20 in. The Free PDF Pattern makes measuring easy!