Gathering fabric is an essential sewing skill for beginners. If you are learning to sew for the first time or just need a little refresher, this easy tutorial is for you!
I’ve included a video to show you how to gather fabric in real time, but if you learn better with written instructions, follow along with the instructions below.
- Set a long stitch length on your sewing machine
2. Pull the threads out from your machine about 6 inches
3. Sew about 1/4 inch from the edge of the fabric
4. When you have finished sewing the length of the fabric, pull the thread out before you cut to create a long set of “tails” on the other side.
5. Secure the top thread in one hand and use your other hand to push the fabric toward the center. Pull firmly but gently and work slow so you don’t break your thread.